xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Returning a complete XRDS in proxy resolution

It’s been a while and my head spins just thinking about this. Let me ask some random questions:

  1. Is a GCS character by itself a valid authority subsegment?
  2. If so, can it be resolved? That is, if you just have the IP address of the “=” root authority server, can you ask it for “xri://=”?
  3. I don’t understand why a client would want the GCS authority XRD when using a proxy. It will know which GCS character, that’s for sure, because it will send it in as http://xri.net/@foo. Unless you’re saying that it needs to verify trusted resolution itself, in which case it should have everything it needs (public key, providerID, etc.) pre-configured and start from the “*foo” XRD. It’s like X509 certs, if you have the certificate of the CA you trust, and are presented with a cert that is signed by that CA, you can verify it.
  4. Are you suggesting that we return the GCS root XRD only for proxy resolution? Why not for normal resolution for consistency? And this corresponds to Q1 and Q2 above. If a GCS character is a subsegment in its own right, you can resolve it. Drummond has also requested for that ability. It would be a lot more elegant if xri://@ is 1 subsegment, therefore you get 1 XRD back, xrd://@foo has 2 subsegments so expect 2 XRD’s back, whether it is proxy resolution or authority resolution. Sure, we can save some 200 bytes by omitting the root XRD for root resolution, but that can also be reconciled by having the authority resolution server with 2 endpoints:

http://at.xri.net/@ - corresponds to xri://@ => 1 XRD

http://at.xri.net/@*foo – corresponds to xri://@foo => 2 XRDs

http://at.xri.net/@/ - this is actually the authority resolution service URI returned in the 1st URI above.

http://at.xri.net/@/*foo – gives you 1 XRD i.e. for *foo because you are asking @’s authority resolution service for the next subsegment. Just like if you asked @foo’s auth res server for “*bar” it’s not going to give you back @foo’s XRD, it’ll just give you *bar’s XRD.

This means that existing clients who use direct authority resolution and do not want the root XRD can just reconfigure their SEP to the third URI above. This seems to sit well with me, but I’m sure there’s a flaw somewhere I can’t see.

=wil (http://xri.net/=wil)