xri message

Subject: Authority resolution

Hi folks,

The current text on line 780 of xri-resolution-v2-wd10 says that:

For each iteration of the authority resolution process, the next authority resolution service endpoint MUST be selected as defined in section 7 using the values from Table 11. In addition, the Next Authority URI MUST be constructed as defined in section 5.1.7.

I believe this refers to section 8 (Service Endpoint Selection) rather than 7 (Proxy Resolution).

If I'm resolving =foo*bar and =foo's XRD contains no authority resolution service endpoint, I found out that the OpenXRI code selected a contact service (because it was configured as a default service) and tried to use it as an authority service endpoint! That's because it simply used the service selection functions by passing it the service selection values from Table 11, and failing to find it the function actually returned the default service.

I'm wondering if we should clarify that for the authority resolution phase, one should not process the default service. Implementation wise, I'm thinking of keeping service selection functions status quo but the authority resolution function will actually filter out "selected services" which do not match the parameters in Table 11.

=wil (http://xri.net/=wil)