xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] GCS authority

Wil,

I know it was discussed, but I don't remember the exact details of the
discussion. I suspect the main motivation was simply to reuse existing
xri-subsegment productions, of which xri-subset-od was the one that matched.

In any case, I already have a related issue on my internal XRI Syntax 2.01
list. I will add this one and strive to get it posted to the XRI TC wiki
this week.

Best,

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Tan, William [mailto:William.Tan@neustar.biz]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:27 AM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xri] GCS authority

Hi list,

For a simple GCS-only XRI such as "xri://@", there is a single subsegment,
namely, the "@" authority.

However, looking at the relevant XRI productions:

  rgcs-authority = rgcs-char xri-segment
  rgcs-char = "=" / "@" / "+" / "$"
  xri-segment = xri-subseg-od *xri-subseg
  xri-subseg-od = [ "*" / "!" ] (xref / *xri-pchar)

If we match "@" with "rgcs-authority", we end up with:

  xri-segment => xri-subseg-od
  xri-subseg-od => (empty)

which reads like:
  "@" is an rgcs-authority that contains an rgcs-char and an xri-segment,
  where the xri-segment contains a single empty subsegment.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to make xri-segment optional in rgcs-authority
like so:

  rgcs-authority = rgcs-char *xri-segment

Perhaps this has been discussed before, in which case can anybody recall the
reason behind defining the production this way?

Thanks.

=wil (http://xri.net/=wil)