xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon Thursday 2006-11-09

Following are the minutes for the XRI TC telecon at:

Date:  Thursday, 09 November 2006 USA (Friday morning Asia)
Time:  4:00PM - 5:30PM PT

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial call that will continue until the end of the XRI 2.0
cycle.

PRESENT

Bill Barnhill
Les Chasen
Wil Tan
Laurie Rae
Marty Schleiff
Drummond Reed
Steve Churchill

1) WELCOME NEW TC MEMBERS
We welcomed new TC members Paul Biciunas from Fidelity Investments and
Laurie Rae from Cordance.

2) IPR MODE TRANSITION VOTE

***IF YOU ARE A VOTING MEMBER PLEASE VOTE ON THIS BALLOT TODAY!!! ***
You can vote at the following link:

	http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/ballot.php?id=1140

3) XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 WORKING DRAFT 11 STATUS REPORT
There is one new issue that arose via the OpenID discussion lists. It is
listed as issue #37 on the WD11 wiki page. See:

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResWorkingDraft11#head-85efc07c5c400
cd210dd9b1fbd897eefbdc7afe8

We deferred dicussion to a meeting of the XRI resolution editors next week
after Gabe is back.

4) XRI SYNTAX 2.1 OPEN ISSUES LIST
We discussed the first three issues on...

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/XriSyntax2dot1

...which are detailed on the Syntax 2.1 New Formats page at...

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/Xri2dot1Formats

Key points:

* The trailing slash issue is not yet included in the canonicalization
section.

# Drummond to add trailing slash issue. He will also research the issue to
quote the relevant sections of RFC 3986 and summarize Wil's analysis.

* Bill brought up the questions of versioning IP addresses. Drummond
explained that RFC 3986 already includes syntax for determining the version
of an IP address, so we should not duplicate this functionality.

* We discussed the HXRI formatting proposal and the intersection of the
"xri." and "first path character" algorithms. No decision on this yet.

* We discussed two issues about the MXRI formatting proposal:

	a) The way proxy servers will be represented.
	b) Potential ambiguities in the interpretation of the format because
it changes the precedence order, i.e., all other XRIs read left-to-right,
but in the proposed MXRI format, the pre-@ segment is subordinate to the
post-@ segment.

It was agreed this proposal needs further refinement and discussion.

5) XRI $ DICTIONARY 2.0 STATUS REPORT
Marty updated the group that Laurie Rae and Paul Biciunas have joined he and
Drummond on the XRI $ Dictionary work. Marty has been focused on formalizing
the way the $ Dictionary captures rules for normalization/canonicalization,
beginning with the steps for encoding an XRI in XRI normal form and then
transforming it to IRI-normal form, URI-normal form, and XRI canonical form.

* We discussed an UTF-8 encoding question that Marty and Drummond had for
Wil.

# Wil to send a response to Marty's question that explains how an XRI in
XRI-normal form (UTF-8) should be represented vs. that same identifier in
IRI-normal form or URI-normal form.