xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon Thursday 2006-11-16

Following are minutes for the unofficial XRI TC telecon at:

Date:  Thursday, 16 November 2006 USA (Friday morning Asia)
Time:  4:00PM - 5:30PM PT

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial call that will continue until the end of the XRI 2.0
cycle.

PRESENT

Les Chasen
Gabe Wachob
Marty Schleiff
Drummond Reed
Laurie Rae
Wil Tan
Steve Churchill

AGENDA

1) IPR MODE TRANSITION VOTE
Although the vote was unanimous, unfortunately we didn't receive a majority
of the voting members. Part of this is due to the fact that we haven't had
to do any votes since last spring, so we have some inactive members on the
voting roster.

# Drummond to send a message to the TC asking for anyone who wishes to drop
back to an Observer level to let the chairs know.

# Gabe and Drummond to review voting roster, move inactive members to
observers, and then post a second vote.

2) UCS AND UTF-8 DISCUSSION
The XRI $ Dictionary team has had a good offline interchange with Wil Tan
about the usage of the Unicode Character Set (UCS) and its impact on
XRI-normal form and IRI-normal form. This has revealed an error in the XRI
Syntax 2.0 specification that needs correction in 2.1.

* IRI requires using characters from the UCS character set (charset), but
does NOT require any particular encoding in IRI form. It is only in the
transformation to URI syntax that UTF-8 encoding is required (followed by
%xx encoding into ASCII). In the XRI Syntax 2.0 specification we required
encoding in UTF-8 in order for an XRI to be in XRI-normal form.

* We discussed whether a particular encoding should be required in
XRI-normal form, and agreed that while UTF-8 should be recommended (we can
point to other specifications that recommendation it), no specific encoding
is required.

* Wil clarified that NFKC normalization is required in the step of
converting any XRI that is not in XRI-normal form (i.e., that does not use
the UCS charset) into XRI-normal form by putting it in the UCS charset. We
discussed the question of whether NFKC normalization should be applied if
the XRI is already in the UCS charset, but did not settle this.

# Wil to check the IRI spec and come back with recommendation for precise
rules for application of NFKC normalization.

3) MXRI DISCUSSION
We reviewed a revised version of the MXRI proposal at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/Xri2dot1Formats

* We also a second proposal based on the concept of using the email
displayname to carry the XRI instead of trying to build it into the formal
email address itself. We concluded that both need to be written up.

# Drummond to coordinate both proposals being written up in more detail.

* We discussed separately the MXRI subsegment proposal (section 4.3.2 on the
wiki page as currently written) and the Precedence of Community XRIs
proposal (section 4.3.3 on the wiki page). There was not unanimous agreement
on either proposal, however we agreed they should be rewritten to add
further examples, show how they apply to cross-references, and clarify that
both proposals can apply to XRI syntax independent of the MXRI proposal.

# Drummond to rewrite and update these proposals.

4) XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 ISSUE
We discussed issue #37 on the WD11 wiki page:

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResWorkingDraft11#head-85efc07c5c400
cd210dd9b1fbd897eefbdc7afe8

* We held an hour long discussion about this problem and the use cases that
motivate it. The principle issue is how the same call to an HXRI proxy
resolver that returns an XRDS document or XRD document for an XRI that
includes only an authority component can also return an XRDS document or XRD
document for an XRI that includes a local component.

# Drummond to type up a more detailed issue description and a proposed
solution.