xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] HXRI as OpenID

An even hackier solution might be to give your xri as openid.xri.net/<yourxri> (which is NOT an HXRI – it would resolve in a special way for ignorant OpenID 1.X RPs’). This requires user intervention, so it’s not a really good solution.

            -Gabe

From: markus.sabadello@gmail.com [mailto:markus.sabadello@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Markus Sabadello
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:30 AM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xri] HXRI as OpenID

One more thing today.. I had an idea about the problem Drummond mentionned during breakfast on Friday. But I am warning you, it is very hacky...

The problem:
Many OpenID RPs do not (yet?) support i-names. If you try to enter your i-name in the form of an HXRI ( e.g. http://xri.net/=Drummond), this does not work either, since the proxy selects the default SEP from the XRD, not the Authentication SEP.

Maybe a solution:
Modify the proxy to look at the User-Agent header. If it is not there, the request probably comes from an OpenID RP trying to do discovery. Both the janrain and sxip libraries do not send this header.

There are many difficulties to be expected here. The proxy would have to display or redirect to some page that has an appropriate <link rel="openid.server" href=""...">" element, and the Authentication i-service would somehow have to make sure that =Drummond and http://xri.net/=Drummond are actually treated as the same identity, not separate ones. Maybe this can be done with OpenID delegation.

I am not sure if this really works, it's just an idea.

Markus