xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Proposed draft text for WD11 introducing the authority graph model. [Was Thoughts about XRI aliases.]

This is very good. Something like that would have helped me a lot to understand XRI resolution in the beginning. I especially like this paragraph:

"XRI Resolution does not preclude alternative models of XRI synonymity and/or object identity, however this specification provides no mechanism for synonym verification under such alternative models."

This would legitimize OpenXRI's current approach to aliases, which I really would like to keep (and Gabe too I believe). I think I keep calling them aliases, because I instinctively felt that they were not quite compatible with the synonym mechanisms defined in the Resolution Spec.

I now actually set up the example I talked about in my other mail a few days ago. I configured the following XRIs as aliases "inside" the OpenXRI server:
- @free*c
- @free*d
- @free*a*b
- @free*x*y*z

They share all SEPs and should resolve to http://www.inames.net. For *c and *d, appropriate LocalIDs are automatically included in the XRD.

By the way, of course I agree with you that the OpenXRI server would be pretty useless without CanonicalID support.. As seen here, this is on top of the list :)
http://dev.inames.net/wiki/OpenXRI:RoadMap#Server_-_Authority

Your definitions 1.6.1, 1.6.2 and 1.6.3 will be helpful to properly implement this.

-Markus