xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Conflict in Canonical ID verification behavioral models.

I understand #1 below, and believe it’s accurate.

I don’t understand #2 below, or the explanation of the motivation.

I would summarize it this way:

1) Under Hierarchical Canonical ID Verification (the model specified in section 11 of WD11 ED02), the resolver verifies that the Canonical ID identifiers asserted in an XRD have been assigned by the same authority that is authoritative for the XRD (and therefore by definition are authorized by that authority). This limits the Canonical IDs that may be asserted in an XRD to a set of hierarchical synonyms that all start from the same root.

2) Under Polyarchical Canonical ID Verification (the proposal at http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/CanonicalIdVerification once the wiki starts working again), the resolver verifies that the Canonical ID identifiers asserted in an XRD are all authorized by the authorities for those identifiers. This enables the Canonical IDs that may be asserted in an XRD to be any set of synonyms from any number of roots.

Note that the second approach, Polyarchical Canonical ID Verification, is a superset of the first approach, Hierarchical Canonical ID Verification, because all identifiers that would verify under #1 would also verify under #2.

Key motivations for #2:

1) It allows URLs to be asserted as synonyms for XRIs (which satisfies the OpenID Canonical ID verification use cases).

2) It enables any number of XRDs from any number of authorities to assert the same Canonical ID if they wish. This use case applies both to XRIs and URLs.

A reminder to all TC members that we will hold a second special telecon on this issue today at 10AM PT on our regular bridge number:

    Dial In Number: 571-434-5750

    Conference ID: 5474

=Drummond