xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Review of extended CID verification (was RE: [xri] Agenda:Joint XRI & XDI TC Telecon 10AM PT Thursday 2007-06-21)

Hello,

I can't find much to comment on either.. Well there is one thing that bothers me, but maybe I got something wrong here: The text always says that in order to verify a CanonicalID from a different authority, you look for either a Ref or Backref pointing to the original identifier. But wouldn't another CanonicalID also be legal?

For example, I am trying to verify http://www.markus.at. The XRDS I get from there has a <CanonicalID>@id*markus</CanonicalID>. So I resolve @id*markus, and I find no Ref and no Backref there, but a <CanonicalID> http://www.markus.at</CanonicalID>. I know that's somehow stupid and maybe breaks some other rules, but shouldn't it count as "verified"?

I also have two thoughts about CanonicalIDs in general, not verification:

1) I think CanonicalIDs should be declared required instead of optional. Not in XRI in general, but in i-names. If we tell people "here is an identifier you can use as primary key" and "you can even verify it", then it should always be there. I-names provided by the GRS have them anyway, but a requirement like that would be good for community i-names. Otherwise certain people out there may set up community i-name providers that don't have these important CanonicalIDs :) By the way, is there some authorative text that describes i-names and i-numbers?

2) All the talking about synonyms may affect the i-services specifications, which also mention synonyms. These suggest (even recommend) that an i-service can either be bound to an authority, or to individual XRIs that share this authority. I.e. you could have a single contact page for all your synonyms, or (thanks to the the append attribute) individual contact pages for your identifiers, even if they are synonyms. Actually I don't think anything needs to be changed there, just wanted to remind of that.

Markus

--
@freeXRI / freexri.com / try free i-names