xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] New i-service: Locator

Without even looking at it, my first question is “is there any pre-existing service that is URI-addressable that already provides this functionality”?

That is, can you make a discovery front-end for a pre-existing protocol rather than defining a new one?

I’m just using your proposal as an opportunity to beat the drum about using existing services rather than inventing new XRI-specific ones…

            -Gabe

From: Markus Sabadello [mailto:markus.sabadello@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:19 AM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org; Steve Churchill; andy.dale@ootao.com; Paul Trevithick; Mary Ruddy; Jack Connors; Lon Wiese
Subject: [xri] New i-service: Locator

This goes back to an idea I had long before I heard about XRI.. I thought, "For people who travel a lot, wouldn't it be great to have a personal page where you can tell others about where you currently are, and how they can reach you?"

Now I felt this was a good opportunity for an i-service, I call it "Locator". I wrote a little specification for it:
http://www.freexri.com/pdfs/locator-service.pdf
(I stole some parts from the XDI.org ISS, please let me know if that's a problem)

Needless to say, this i-service is available for users of @freeXRI. If you don't want to try it yourselves, here's an example:
http://xri.net/@id*peacekeeper/(+locator)

Feedback welcome :)

Markus