xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] ED04 synonym proposal (was RE: [xri] CID changes in wd11)

See my comments inline:

Drummond Reed wrote:
> Let me explain why I'm comfortable with the "weaker" semantics for
> MapToID/MapFromID that Wil proposes.

Great!

> First, I agree with Les's point (two messages down) that MapToID/MapFromID
> should, like EquivID, stay independent from resolution semantics. Their
> purpose is strictly identification semantics.
>
> For this purpose, the key difference between EquivID and MapToID/MapFromID
> is directionality. EquivID is non-directional and purely p2p. It doesn't
> suggest to a consuming application anything more than "also known as".
> Consuming apps can build or not build tables of EquivID mappings as needed,
> but if they do build them, there is no directionality implied.
>
> By contrast, MapToID/MapFromID is strictly directional. As Wil puts it, they
> enable express of "I would like to map to this other identifier" and "I
> allow this other identifier to map to me". Again, consuming apps can build
> or not build MapToID/MapFromID mapping tables as needed, but if they do
> build them, they know exactly the directionality implied. As Wil notes, the
> resolver can still verify the mapping even though the spec doesn't dictate
> what "map" means.
>
> My feeling is that as long as non-directional and directional synonyms are
> supported at the spec level, then specific identifier communities can set
> policy around the uses these elements as they need. If we discover through
> practice that additional semantics needed in the future, we can tackle that
> when we get there.

I understand and agree that EquivID is p2p and non-directional, while
MapToID/MapFromID are directional. I also understand that it would be
Nice to be able to express an AKA relationship using a non-directional
element. However, I'm not sure if the use case is a strong one.
Generally, I would prefer to leave these to an extension (the X in XRDS)
since it doesn't affect the core resolution behavior; my compiler has
detected an "unreferenced local variable named EquivID".

I also don't understand how you could use EquivID to express directional
equivalence without MapToID/MapFromID. Unless, of course, you encode
directionality into an attribute of EquivID, but that IMO is less
preferable to having separate elements.

=wil