xri message

Subject: RE: Proposed CID verification rules for ED04 (was: Dereferencing rules are required for interop)

* I am good with the adding of a new status code for 103 CID_NOT_PRESENT

* The wiki contains a section for CID verification for HTTP URIs.  I do
not think this belongs in the XRI resolution spec ... it is out of
scope.

* The reference processing section confuses me ... I do not think that
the cid parameter should control how the resolver traverses through an
XRDS tree.  A REF will only be followed if it is needed to perform
authority resolution or service selection.  In all other circumstances a
REF will not be resolved.   This may just be terminology because I think
you said you agreed with me below.

* Not a big deal but in reading this I think instead of using 102
CID_NOT_VERIFIED  it would be more descriptive to have the label
CID_VERIFICATION_FAILED.  This instinctively tells me that verification
was done but it failed.  The other leaves it a little vague.

contact: =les
sip: =les/(+phone)
chat: =les/skype/chat

ED04
> on the wiki:
>
> 	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/CanonicalIdVerification
>
> This replaces the previous version of the page (always available in
the
> page
> history) that was woefully out of date with the current thinking.
Please
> do
> read through it and post any feedback to the list so we can advance
> discussion as far as possible before tomorrow's call.
>
> This page reflects the following analysis of the deferencing rules
issue:

> First, Steve is correct that when he and I first discussed this topic
(the
> interaction of CanonicalID verification and XRD selection), I thought
it
> made sense, when a resolution request has cid=true, for the resolver
> always attempt to find a verifiable CanonicalID.
>
> However in reading Les's analysis below, I find myself agreeing with
him,
> i.e., that it will be much simpler for CanonicalID verification to be
> completely independent from and orthogonal to reference processing.
>
> One factor that has changed the equation in my view is restricting
> CanonicalID cardinality to zero-or-one, which we did starting with
ED03
> and
> which I strongly support. If CanonicalID verification is singular and
> strictly hierarchical, i.e., each subsegment of a verifiable
CanonicalID
> must also be a valid LocalID for that leg of the resolution chain
(which
> is
> what I think we've all agreed), it is now extremely efficient for a
> resolver
> to verify the CanonicalID element (if any) for each XRD in a
resolution
> chain.
>
> Therefore I propose (in the updated page at
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/CanonicalIdVerification) that
if
> cid=true, a resolver MUST always perform CanonicalID verification on
the
> CanonicalID in each XRD in the resolution chain, and this rule remains
> constant whether refs=true or not and whether sep=true or not. This
means
> cid=true will never affect the final XRD returned by resolution, only
the
> status code returned in that XRD.
>
> Note that I also propose one new status code (103 CID_NOT_PRESENT) to
be
> returned in an XRD when a resolution request has cid=true but an XRD
in
> the
> resolution chain does not assert a CanonicalID. It doesn't make sense
> me
> to return either 100 SUCCESS or 102 CID_NOT_VERIFIED if no CanonicalID
is
> even present in the XRD.
>
> What do others think?
>
> =Drummond

CID_NOT_VERIFIED
> > (102) is returned along with the XRD in a format that depends on the
> > _XRD_R parameter.  The service selection rules in section 10 seem to
> > confirm my recollection.
> >
> > So, I agree with Wil and Markus the table is incorrect on that line.
> > CID validation does not instruct the resolver to dereference REFs.
> > Service selection and authority resolution will cause a resolver to
> > follow REFs.  CID validation simply says whether the resulting
XRDS(es)

<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/22395/xri-polyarchy-
> > > artic
> > > le.pdf>.
> > >
> > > The issue is whether or not the Resolver returns (1) an XRD
describing
> > the
> > > red node or (2) an XRD describing the black node in lower right
> > corner.
> > >
> > > Say that the client has addressed the red node using the
identifier
> > > @xdi*andy.dale and specified resolver parameter sep=false.
Drummond