xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] PLEASE REVIEW: Revised Redirect & Ref Processing Proposal

Hmm everything about the Refs sounds fine.

But I can't say I like the new Redirect proposal very much. I liked the original idea of it being an equivalent mechanism to HTTP redirects (just like HTML has HTTP-EQUIV), but this would mean:
- Allow it ONLY on the XRD level, not Service, so that it doesn't depend on the sep=true parameter.
- Forget synonym verification (I don't understand what that is for anyway).
- Replace the new XRD, not append it (I especially dislike the idea of having multiple XRDs for a single authority in an XRDS).

So that's how I would do it. I don't think it would add complexity, it would be quite simpler. And make it easy to understand the difference between Redirect and Ref. If you see a Redirect on the XRD level, just do an HTTP GET and replace the current XRD. That's it.

But my opinion on this is really not very strong; Your proposal makes sense too, and if others want it to be that way, then that's fine.

Markus