xri message

Subject: Backtracking

Reading the spec 11.5 and looking at the flowcharts we now have
backtracking for refs at the XRD level.

For these XRD level refs we iterate through refs and redirects in
priority order.

My question is what causes backtracking.  As we have not moved to SEP
selection at his point, is success just returning the XRD?

I see and completely agree on backtracking if the XRD is not returned.

However the spec now indicates that we move to SEP selection once the
XRD is returned and if the SEP is not found we backtrack to the next
ref in authority  resolution.

Before we added refs to SEPs this perhaps made more sense.

I prefer the notion of doing this with SEP refs:

1. authority resolution and finding the XRD,
2. Service Selection,
3. Iterating through authority resolution and SEP selection for each
ref in priority order.

If we backtrack from SEP selection into authority resolution I think
it increases implementation complexity.

So we can leave the current behavior and backtrack if no SEP is
found,  or change it to only backtrack if no XRD is found.

I am happy with the backtracking on the SEP refs I think that makes
sense.

I will contribute a clarification for 11.5 depending on what behavior
people want.

I particularly would like Kermit and Wil's opinions.

I can live with it ether way as long as its unambiguous.

smime.p7s