xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Backtracking

Cool. Wil, Kermit, please do weigh in. I also cc’d Markus and Victor (only I realized I hit the wrong key and accidentally cc’d Vince Caluori (Cordance CEO), who is probably reading this and wondering what the h*ll he’s supposed to say about this ;-)

I agree, let’s try to close tomorrow. I really want to get out ED07 by Monday night, and there’s a ton of work to do even *without* any other changes.

=Drummond

From: John Bradley [mailto:jbradley@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:35 PM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: 'Chasen, Les'; xri@lists.oasis-open.org; ksnelson@subjectivity.com; 'Tan, William'; 'Vince Caluori'; 'Markus Sabadello'

Thanks,

Yes I see that authority resolution is a special default case of the SEP selection process where you have 1 or more more sub segments to process.

My tendency is to code that into the authority resolution recursion function rather than invoking the general SEP selection for each subsegment.

I envision the code as a recursive function that processes sub segments until it reaches the last sub segment or hits a ref/redirect.

At a ref or redirect  you have one or more refs to process.  You iterate through the list by again recursing to the same function with the new parameters.

Once you have consumed all of the sub segments you fallow the ref in the last XRD if there is one.

If the XRD cant be returned you raise an exception and unwind back to your list of refs you are iterating through.

Only then do you invoke the general SEP selection process with the input parameter.

If this fails to find the SEP then there are two choices 1 return SEP not found, or 2 rase an exception and unwind back to your list of refs you are iterating through.

The SEP selection if it encounters a ref invokes the recursive authority resolution with the new input parameters.

This all occurs recursively until all of the possible ref paths have been walked with the service selection parameters, until:

1 a SEP is found, and returned.

2 No Sep is found and all paths have been walked so SEP not found is returned.

3 Heat death of universe if there is a loop.

I have a simple programer way of looking at things.  We can make this work either way.

If you enter into the general SEP selection process for each branch of the tree then there is more overhead and chances for loops.

I would like Wil and Kermits opinions.

I am good as long as we are all on the same page as to how we handle backtracking and the consequences of that.

I don't want to drag this out, lets try to close this tomorrow.

=ve7jtb