xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 10-11AM PT Thursday 2008-02-07

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 07 February 2008 USA
Time:  10:00AM - 11:00PM Pacific Time

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial telecon of the XRI Technical Committee.

ATTENDING

Gabe Wachob
Peter Davis
Markus Sabadello
John Bradley
Drummond Reed
Nika Jones (New Member)
Marty Schleiff
Wil Tan

1) REVIEW FINAL COMMENTS ON XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 COMMITTEE DRAFT 02

Three more comments were received before the close of the public review
period (Feb 1). Of these, the first was an additional comment from Eran
Hammer-Lahav regarding formatting of Section 4, which has already been
discussed and agreed to by the TC.

The second was from Paul Grosso of the W3C XML Core Working Group regarding
registration of the "xri:" scheme identifier. Gabe explained that it has
always been the intention of the XRI TC to register the "xri:" scheme but we
were waiting until completion of an OASIS Standard vote.

# DRUMMOND AND GABE to discuss the timing of this step with OASIS staff.

The third comment did not appear to have reached the xri-comment mailing
list even though it was cc'd to the W3C URI mailing list. Peter forwarded it
to the list.

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200802/msg00002.html

The comment was actually three questions about the XRI 2.0 specification
suite, i.e., both Syntax and Resolution together. The first question deals
with resolution round trips, the second with HTTP content negotiation, and
the third with relative and base XRIs.

* We discussed the content negotiation question. The design of XRI proxy
resolution is designed to support HTTP content negotation; in fact it
supports a layer of metadata (XRDS documents) that supports content
negotiation.

* Marty pointed out that XRDS documents also support other forms of
interacting with a resource. For example, locating and interacting with an
OpenID authentication service for an individual Internet user is not
"resource retreival" in the conventional sense.

* Gabe suggested that we answer the questions that they are asking and make
sure that they fully understand the purpose of both XRI abstract identifiers
and XRDS resource descriptors.

#GABE will take the lead on composing a response.

2) EDITING PLAN FOR XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 COMMITTEE DRAFT 03

There was agreement we need to follow a strict schedule for producing
Committee Draft 03 according to the timeline we posted last week.

#DRUMMOND to create a new XRI TC wiki page with editing assignments for
CD03.

3) OPENXRI

Although the OpenXRI open source project is out of scope for the XRI TC,
interested TC members were invited to attend a telecon on next steps on the
project on Friday at 10AM PT/1PM ET.