xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 8-9AM PT Thursday 2008-08-21

Drummond,

Good discussion, and you make excellent points in the comparison you sent to
the W3C TAG list.

Regarding your points below, indeed, in the XRI entity model (which is
hierarchical) each arc between two entities has associated with it metadata
(in the form of an XRDS) and this visual picture is really cool,  because it
calls out the fact that in XRI resolution the parent entity is authorative
for the metadata describing the child entity.

You also correctly point our that the XRDS (that thing that describes the
abstract entity in the XRI entity model) can itself be represented as an
entity in the URI/HTTP entity model (the WWW perspective.) This is where I
get a bit uncomfortable, though, because the most important "distinction"
(the XRI value add, so to speak) is not about the metadata
descriptor-rather, it is about the new XRI abstract entity model itself. Put
another way, it is not that important that the entity metadata descriptors
of the XRI entity space can be treated as entities themselves in the
URI/HTTP entity space. What is more important I think is that XRI resolution
introduces a new abstract (non-concrete) entity model-and that the features
of that entity model (abstract entities defined in terms of service
endpoints, secure mapping from synonymous identifiers to absolute entity,
etc)-are unique and valuable features, not available in the URI/HTTP entity
model.

~ Steve