xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 8-9AM PT Thursday 2008-09-04

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 04 September 2008 USA
Time:  8:00AM - 9:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

John Bradley
Nika Jones
Les Chasen
Drummond Reed
Peter Davis
Marty Schleiff

REGRETS

Markus Sabadello

AGENDA

1) STANDING RULE UPDATE

Our standing rule ballot in July passed.

	http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/ballot.php?id=1496

Procedurally this just means we need to post this standing rule on our home
page.

# DRUMMOND to post the text proposed by Mary McRae when she sends it.

2) FACE-TO-FACE MEETING SCHEDULED

John pointed out that the ORMS TC may not be meeting at IIW (Nov. 10-12 in
Mountain View, CA), and if it does, it will probably meet during IIW itself.
That frees up the two days after IIW (Thur/Fri Nov. 13-14). Thursday is a
Kids Online meeting, and a few XRI TC members may need to attend some of
that, but in general, we should be clear to hold a F2F from 3PM Wed. to 3PM
Friday.

There was consensus we should proceed with this timing since many TC members
are planning to attend IIW and could attend a F2F afterwards.

# DRUMMOND to add this to the TC calendar.

# JOHN to check with Kaliya and arrange a room, both Thursday and Friday.

RE travel, the XRI TC needs to produce a white paper and thus we can apply
for budget to produce that. Extra hotel room night.

# DRUMMOND to post a message about travel and hotel expense.

3) W3C TAG DISCUSSION

We reviewed three pages updated or created as part of our ongoing
discussions with the W3C TAG.

The first one, http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriTcW3cTag, was updated to
reflect feedback from Stuart Williams about the TAG's view of how the issues
should be framed. Specifically, the TAG feels that a class of identifiers
that can be mapped to HTTP URIs should be defined as a subclass of HTTP
URIs.

The second one,
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriTcW3cTag/TagFindingReferences, explains
why all the references (besides XRI) cited as motivations for the TAG's
"URNs, Namespaces, and Registries" finding are not relevant to the XRI TC's
requirements for abstract identifiers.

The third one,
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/AbstractIdentifierArchitecture, is the start
of a document explaining abstract identifier architecture -- something we've
long needed as a TC but which the TAG dialog has underscored the importance
of.

Marty pointed out that while all of this is good work, it is adding up to a
lot of work, and we might be able cut down the total time involved for both
the XRI TC and the TAG by having the TAG clearly state their objections to
XRI using an URI scheme. That way we can focus right in on those objections
and the best way to address them.

We ran out of time at that point and will further discuss on the next call.