xri message

Subject: Fwd: [xri] PLEASE REVIEW: Draft of XRI-As-Relative-URI page

On 14-Oct-08, at 7:39 PM, Chasen, Les wrote:

Will I be considered not compliant if I run my proxy at proxy.chasen.us without associating to a domain that matches the magic pattern?    If I was to run a mission critical system at proxy.chasen.us I don’t think I would want any dependence on the magic .xri zone.   I assume this is ok as long as I am ok with the fact that applications our there would not recognize my HXRIs as actual HXRIs.  That is ok since it is my mission critical system.

The specialness of the domain name is only for the automatic recognition of HXRI.  Your mission critical application is probably using native XRI resolution or is configured to use your local proxy.

If you put http://proxy.chasen.us/=les in some document on the web there would be no automatic way for an app to recognize it as a HXRI.  If that is a problem for you don't use your local proxy in  web docs on the net.  Use http://xri.net/=les

It is largely the status quo.

I am really curious what tricks you have in mind for that magic xri zone.

I am thinking of some sort of proxy DNS server.

Wouldn’t http://equal.xri.net/*les be considered an HXRI under this scheme?

We can make a rule to exclude ranges under xri.net.  It isn't a significant problem.  We could change the names of equals.xri.net etc but that is probably un neccicary.

Are we still planning on applying for xri: for native xri resolution?

We never used xri: for native resolution.

About the only place we used it was in XML name-spacing.

We are trying to go through this process to the end before deciding if we still need to register xri:

What about my last question?  What is the criteria for one to request a new scheme?

The ITEF has criteria but it is vague at the moment.  The W3C will oppose new registrations and the IETF will likely give that significant weight in there deliberations.

I think the W3C have said that there is no justification that they can conceive of for a new scheme.

Now we may change that through working this through.

=jbradley