xri message

Subject: Resolutions

Having now caught up on the W3C TAG list discussions:

You know this, but I'll restate the obvious. After reading the emails,
particularly http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Oct/0104.html
  and follow up:

People will keep assuming that because http://xri.net/=drummond can
resolve to an XRDS, http://xri.net/=drummond is an identifier for an
XRDS. Jonathan Rees clearly thought so.

Do not allow this. And do not distinguish between http://xri.net/=drummond
  and http://xri.net/=drummond/?_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml , or
http://*.xri.net/=drummond and http://thing-described-by.org/xri/=drummond
  . =drummond, and http://xri.net/=drummond, both identify Drummond
the Abstract Thing (the human being, in fact; Abstract really means
Not Necessarily Digital). http://xri.net/... is also a service that
gets back a description of Drummond. http://xri.net/=drummond/?_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml
  is a more refined service call, to get a particular kind of
description.

But Neither Service Call Identifies Drummond. If we say they do, we're
back at the mess we started with. That's the inherent problem in using
an identifier, URI, which is intrinsically also a service call. All we
can do with this is, always return 303s in XRI resolution calls ("what
you are getting Is Not Drummond. It's a description of Drummond").
That doesn't change whether we specify XRDS as a parameter or not. And
maybe, push the XRDS-Location header more in examples (if not
implementations). Because that XRDS-Location URL *is* the identifier
for the descriptor.

Pointing to the equivalence of, say, HTTP HEAD http://thing-described-by.org/info:xri:=drummond
  and HTTP HEAD http://xri.net/=drummond might not be such a bad thing
rhetorically: it makes more clear the distinction between resolution
and identification, and that the XRI resolution binding is not a
retrieval of a resource named in the URL --- just as thing-described-
by.org is clearly not.

Again, I know you know this, but it'll be a lot of work to make sure
URL-heads get it too.

^
^
Dr Nick Nicholas; Link Affiliates,      opoudjis@optushome.com.au
Melbourne          skype:opoudjis       http://www.opoudjis.net
"Despite millions of dollars of research, death continues to be this
  nation's number one killer."    --- Henry Gibson, Kentucky Fried
Movie.