xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Resolutions

So John, if I understand you correctly you are saying that in this proposal an HTTP GET on
http://xri.net/=drummond
would return a 303 redirect to
http://xri.net/=drummond/?_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml

By the W3C's 'Cooler URIs' reasoning aren't those the same URI?

But that is not my main concern. An HTTP redirect is not a POST, nor a PUT, but a GET. Wouldn't that mean that this proposal would only work for HTTP GETs and would force XRDS updating to be done in some other manner? I'd prefer a mechanism that allowed a more or less RESTful style of interacting with resolvers through a uniform interface.  I've seen the uniform interface constraint applied to HTTP taken to mean HTTP PUT, GET, POST, DELETE as the respective CRUD operations.  I personally prefer a different mapping that was articulated in a recent blog entry (http://jcalcote.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/put-or-post-the-rest-of-the-story/):
  • Create = PUT iff you are sending the full content of the specified resource (URL).
  • Create = POST if you are sending a command to the server to create a subordinate of the specified resource, using some server-side algorithm.
  • Retrieve = GET.
  • Update = PUT iff you are updating the full content of the specified resource.
  • Update = POST if you are requesting the server to update one or more subordinates of the specified resource.
  • Delete = DELETE.

    I want to be able to do PUTs,etc. to an XRI for a variety or reasons. With the redirect approach as proposed how would I do that?

    Thanks,

    =Bill.Barnhill