xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Global Cross-Reference Proposal

Nika,

I wasn't trying to say that /hr and /budget were the same as /hr/budget, nor
was I even saying that there is shared semantics across those three
directories (which there would be if they were XRIs). I was only saying that
with relative URIs, you can "compose" /hr/budget without having to make any
change to the component parts, /hr and /budget. The global cross-reference
proposal is consistent with this feature of relative URI architecture.

I agree with you that /hr and /budget and /hr/budget are not the same
"thing" - in fact with relative URIs there is no expectation whatsoever that
they have a semantic relationship. However it's interesting to point out
that if you were talking XRIs, i.e., +hr and +budget and +hr+budget, there
IS an expectation that there is a semantic relationship between the three
identifiers, just as in English there is a semantic relationship between the
terms "HR", "budget", and "HR budget".

That semantic relationship can be captured precisely using technologies like
XDI, where if you expressed +hr+budget in an XDI address, you would KNOW
that you have the XDI RDF statement:

	+hr/$has/+budget

Again, the clarity of being able to make this machine-readable (and
human-readable) statement in XDI RDF with 100% precision is why the XDI TC
is so concerned with global cross-reference capability in XRI 3.0.

=Drummond