xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2008-11-20

Following are the minutes for the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 20 November 2008 USA
Time:  2:00PM - 3:00PM Pacific Time (22:00-23:00 UTC)

ATTENDING

Peter Davis
Nat Sakimura
John Bradley
Drummond Reed
Gabe Wachob
Les Chasen
Tatsuki Sakushima
Nick Nicholas
Eran Hammer-Lahav
RL "Bob" Morgan

REGRETS

Markus Sabadello

AGENDA

1) INTRODUCTIONS

Bob Morgan introduced himself - he works with the University of Washington
and Internet2 and is one of the leaders of the Shibboleth federated identity
initiative in higher education. He is also a member of the OASIS SSTC and a
longtime contributor to SAML. A warm welcome to Bob.

2) EXPANDING TC MEMBERSHIP

Discussion of the proposed new XRD spec at Internet Identity Workshop last
week led to a surge of interest in TC membership by open community standards
participants who are not currently OASIS members (8 at current count).
Drummond, Peter, John, Eran, and Gabe are working this issue with OASIS. TC
members who wish to contribute to a "scholarship fund" for individuals who
want to join but can't justify paying $300 to work on one specification
should contact Drummond or Peter.

Eran said he also expected several other existing OASIS members to be
joining the TC shortly due to their interest in XRD discovery.

3) SUMMARY OF IIW AND F2F MEETING

We briefly reviewed the highlights of the XRD sessions at IIW and the two
days of the F2F, for which the minutes are posted at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/FaceToFaceAgenda

Nat wanted to point TC members to the writeups of the three topics discussed
on the second day of the F2F:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriThree/SimpleSign
	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriThree/CommunityRootResolution
	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriThree/GcsDelimiter

All three require more discussion on the list and in subsequent telecons
before closing on these proposals.

4) REVISED WIKI HOME PAGE AND SPEC HOME PAGES

Drummond updated the wiki home page to provide quick links to home pages
for each deliverables in this spec cycle, but has not yet filled in
templates for each of the home pages.

# DRUMMOND to finish filling in templates for each of the spec/deliverable
home pages.

5) JIRA FOR ISSUES MANAGEMENT

OASIS just announced it has added Jira issue tracking. There was consensus
that we want to use it for this spec cycle.

6) SPEC PACKAGING AND VOLUNTEERS

We discussed the spec packaging worked out at the F2F and recorded in the
first part of the minutes (link above). The only potential change is that
XRD might end out being in two parts if the workflow and schema need to be
separated. However we will start with one document and see how it goes.

Les asked what XRI 3.0 Resolution will cover that's not in XRD. Conceptually
it will be a "profile" of XRD, i.e., it will specify only those requirements
of XRI resolution that are not met by generic XRD discovery". Examples:

* Specifying the service endpoint type for XRI authority resolution service.
* Specifying construction of multiple XRDs into one XRDS document for a
resolution chain.
* Specifying the Status and ServerStatus element and values.

Bob observed that many other protocols besides XRI resolution will also
create their own profiles of XRD discovery, e.g., SAML, OpenID, OAuth,
OpenSocial, etc.

Drummond asked who else wanted to volunteer as an editor or contributor.

* Les will be a contributor to XRD and XRI 3.0 Resolution.
* Nick will be an editor on the XRI 3.0 info: binding and a contributor to
XRD and XRI 3.0 Resolution.

# DRUMMOND to update the home pages for each spec listing the editors and
contributors.

6) VERSION NUMBER FOR XRD SPEC

We discussed the version number for the new XRD spec. The case for it being
called "XRD 1.0" is that it is new as a standalone spec. The case for it
being called "XRD 3.0" is that there was already a 2.0 version of the XRD
schema, and it would align it with XRI 3.0.

Eran suggested "XRD" as the brand is what's really important. He also
suggested the spec name could move to dates. However John pointed out that
OASIS has a set of spec naming guidelines that we need to follow.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNaming.ht
ml

# DRUMMOND to start an email discussion on the list with Mary McRae to
resolve this question.

7) NEXT CALL(S)

No call is currently planned for next week (Thanksgiving in the U.S.)

There was consensus that during the spec cycle, we should establish two
weekly telecons on Thursdays - one focused on the XRI 3.0 spec and one on
the XRD spec. John suggested that we look at pushing the XDI TC telecon
(currently 1-2PM PT) back one hour so it would run from noon-1PM PT. Then
the XRI 3.0 telecon could run from 1-2PM PT, and the XRD telecon from 2-3PM
PT.

# DRUMMOND to send this proposal to the XRI and XDI TC lists.