xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] SEP type registries and XRD self-descriptions

I registered xrdstype.net - but there was never a lot of interest.

If you want to take it over, I think that could be arranged. Its just really a namespace...

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@cordance.net> wrote:
> [...]

Bill, there's never been a formal mechanism for registering service endpoint
types -- since they are URIs, it's inherently decentralized.
http://xrdstype.net/ and the Wikipedia page for XRDS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRDS) are the two "directories" I know of.

> I ask as I'd like to register two service types: one for
> resource-description, i.e. an endpoint that provides additional metadata
> on the resource described by XRD, and one for self-description, i.e. an
> endpoint that provides metadata on the enveloping XRD itself.

What types of additional resource description do you have in mind? Are you
thinking other formats (e.g., RDF, POWDER, XDI)? If so, I think that in the
new XRD design those would just service endpoints with a MediaType (and no
Type) element plus the URI at which that mediatype was available. Example:

<XRD>
       <Service>
               <MediaType>application/rdf+xml</MediaType>
               <URI>http://example.com/some/rdf.xml</URI>
       </Service>
</XRD>

As for self-description, we talked about that at the F2F, and no service
type should be needed for that because XRD discovery is recursive, i.e.,
since the XRD is itself a resource with a URI, you can do XRD discovery on
that URI.

For example, if the original URI on which are doing XRD discovery on is
http://yahoo.com, and you discovery the URI of its XRD is
http://yahoo.com/xrd, then to get XRD metadata on the XRD itself, you'd do
XRD discovery on http://yahoo.com/xrd (which might lead you to a URI like
http://yahoo.com/xrd/xrd - whatever template Yahoo uses).