xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] CanonicalID in XrdOne/TrustWorkflowByExample

beaton@google.com wrote:
> I don't understand this proposal at all.  Certificate Authorities
> don't assign URIs.  They issue certs.  Can you explain what you mean
> about CA responsibility to prevent reassignment of URIs?

No. They do not assign URIs.

But I am not talking about normal URI or Domain name here.

What I am talking about is a unique string that identifies the Subject, which happens to be an abstract cool uri.
Domain can be reassigned, but this unique string must not be reassigned to another subject.
If we hinge upon a usual domain name / uri, we may end up with another entity than a previously transacted entity. This is a.k.a. identifire recycling problem in OpenID. Currently, in OpenID AuthN 2.0, it is the job of the OP to keep this string unique, but it does not work with delegation nor the case when OP went out of business etc. That's why I am proposing to move this task to CA.
It is a regular job of a CA to do this "identification" and keep record of it. Then, why not levarage on it?
I think it is a reasonable thing to do.

If the example being in a uri format confuses you, you could just replace it with something like uuid, or i-number.

=nat