xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] XRD trusted discovery workflow

@example.com would be taken to by openID to be a XRI.

We should stay away from trying to do @example.com as email bootstraping   example.com works just fine now for directed identity.  If the OP uses email addresses as the localID that is up to them.

=jbradley
On 11-Dec-08, at 3:21 AM, David Fuelling wrote:

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Brian Eaton <beaton@google.com> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM, David Fuelling
<david.fuelling@cordance.net> wrote:
> Assuming I'm understanding things properly, the EAUT spec will use a
> <Service> element with a <URIMap> in order to indicate a site-wide policy
> for mapping an email address to a URL (on a site-wide basis).  Though, in
> its current form, the EAUT spec utilizes a <URI> element inside of a
> service, and the EAUT spec treats this as a URL template.  If URIMap is a
> valid element, then it seems like EAUT would want to use it, however.

I went ahead and added this proposal to the wiki, thanks.

Cool.  Just wondering about the current formatting on the wiki.  Are the "email domain bootstrapping" and "email address bootstrapping" sections meant to be two different alternatives up for discussion, or is the idea to support both at the same time?  I only ask because I don't see a distinction between "email address" and "email domain" bootstrapping (e.g., when would one ever encounter '@example.com' without the username portion of an email).

Seems like there should be bootstrapping on the following:
  1. An email address of the form 'user@domain.tld' (we can debate whether to simply use a mailto: URI or use something like EAUT)
  2. A regular domain (e.g., http://example.com or http://www.example.com/foo).