xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] URIMap element (was: XRD trusted discovery workflow)

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@cordance.net> wrote:

My takeaway from the recent URIMap discussion is that there are two "levels" where we need URI mapping.

The first one is at the XRD level (the site-meta level). The use case here is, "I have URI X and I need to find the XRD for it." Finding that XRD can require requesting the site-meta file and then using it's URIMap to find the XRD (I understand site-meta may not be XML so it may not have a URIMap element, but it would be whatever the URI mapping equivalent is).

The second level is following a link from one XRD to a related resource. The use case here is, "I have the XRD for URI X and now I want the URI Z for the resource whose relation is Type Y". Computing URI Z from URI X can require a URIMap.

It seems that for the first level, the URIMap element should be in the /site-meta file (or the XRD that serves that role if we support that option).

I'm a bit confused about our scope here.

First, is a "URIMap" formally declared somewhere (perhaps as part of XRI already, or somewhere else?).  The reason I ask is that it seems to be used as something with meaning outside of just being a URITemplate.

Using the "URIMap" in the way you describe it in your "level one" example assumes quite a bit about URI dereferencing -- namely that all URI's should be de-referenced (i.e., turned into a URL) via the process we outline in whatever becomes XDI.

Are we really trying to do that with XDI?

For the second level, the URIMap element should be a child of <Service> (or <Link> if we call it that).

Do I have this right?

=Drummond