xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] URIMap element (was: XRD trusted discovery workflow)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Dirk Balfanz <balfanz@google.com> wrote:

I guess what's rubbing me the wrong way here is that control over one URI's metadata (http://www.example.com/user/bob) is distributed all over the place, instead of being held close to that URI, where the owner of the URI has a chance to keep track of the URI's metadata.

Agreed.  The more I think about it, the more I agree with Drummond's take-away that started this thread.  We should use both options (site-wide delegation, with or without URIMap) as well as individual service delegation (with or without URIMap), with site-wide XRD delegation taking precedence.

In that world, it seems like I would have ultimate freedom.  I could fully delegate a domain's root XRD for site-wide services, maintaining all XRD info (mostly) in one place, yet provide users with the opportunity to indicate service-level meta-data anywhere they like.