xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] DNS XRD Discovery proposal

On Dec 16, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Brian Eaton wrote:

> One bit of weirdness.  The doc starts out saying
>
> "... SMS delivery infrastructures are not presently capable of using
> HTTP (but are increasingly able to perform DNS queries."
>
> However, the example output of the URI is
> http://bar.example.biz/sitewide-xrd, which presumably would not be
> usable by the SMS delivery infrastructure you are targeting.
>
> Can you clarify your target use cases for this a bit?  What would a
> useful output URI be?

Yep, as i mentioned in my email

>> I did not get all the example URIs in that i wanted, but thought,
>> given
>> recent conversation, i should at least demonstrate how DNS would
>> provide XRD
>> (and site-meta), and perhaps simplify the XRD location processing a
>> bit.

.. so an SMS example is forthcoming.  One of the potential use case
involves discovering services for common short codes...

the ID draft-wilde-sms-uri-16 introduces the scheme, though at the
moment, it is not clear how shot codes would function under this ID

so, for example, a mobile device wants to discover services for the
short code 12345, which today, involves sending a text message to the
code with a keyword (typically).  I would rather be able to allow the
terminal to discover the service-set for the short code before
interacting with it, or selecting which service is more appropriate...

input string sms:12345?keyword, after mapping through the DNS
application, one may end up at the XRD for the entity operating the
code, and enumerating the services there.

making the service discovery in DNS provides a significant performance
improvement, and DDDS applications are very familiar ground for many
operators today.

=peterd