xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] trust profiles for XRD

The problem with the proposal is that it assumes that a transfer of
ownership means that all previous data on the domain will be lost.

- alice.name is owned by Small Company LLC, using one of these special
new certificates that is promised to be non-reassignable.

- Small Company LLC gets bought by another company.  Can the new
company get the Small Company LLC cert renewed?

- Small Company LLC reincorporates in another country for tax reasons.
 Can they get the cert renewed?

- What if Small Company LLC sells just the domain?

- What if Small Company LLC goes bankrupt and the domain is bought at auction?

- What if Small Company LLC accidentally lets the domain lapse and
then renews it the next day?  What if they renew it next year?

- What if Small Company LLC has a data center catch fire and loses the
private key?

There is no magical way to address these policy issues.  We can't
build software (or a spec) that assumes magic will happen to address
them.

If you've got serious security concerns about reassigning
certificates, my advice is not to use a PKI, and to give up on
automatic rotation of keys.  Use self-signed certs that you exchange
with people you trust, using channels you trust.  Or use a CA with
policies around reassignment that you like.

Cheers,
Brian