xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Secure XRD Proposals

On Dec 18, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Brian Eaton wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Peter Davis
> <peter.davis@neustar.biz> wrote:
>> I can see use cases for each service element being signed. This is
>> essentially the detached signature model provided in XMLDsig.
>
> What are those use cases?

circumstances where the relying party to the XRD needs to interact
with 'certified' providers of a given service, and establishing a
network connection to a bogus service is expensive/inefficient (wrt
network usage), or might otherwise cause harm to either the relying
party or the user.

In these cases, it is not sufficient to simply sign the set of
services, as there may be several certified entities (for either
identical services or different ones), and the XRD signature is too
broad in scope for such circumstances.

=peterd