xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Designating DNS discovery for non-HTTP URIs

How would other existing (or planned) meta-data provisioning methods work with /site-meta? Specifically the three I am thinking of are Site maps (sitemap.xml), XRDs, and XMPP entity capabilities.

Would you see these as alternative formats for the information in /site-meta, or something that people would need to retrieve /site-meta first and then retrieve the particular meta-data format?

=Bill.Barnhill

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav
Sent: Thu 1/8/2009 11:34 AM
To: Peter Davis
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org; David Orchard; Jonathan Rees; Mark Nottingham

To DNS mostly offline. To Site-meta for non-HTTP, see recent W3C TAG F2F notes and posts by Mark N. on www-talk.

> > [snip]
> >
> > But if the resource is not an HTTP resource such as
> mailto:user@example.com
> > ,
> > the consumer must look for a DNS record for the example.com domain
> > identifying an HTTP resource using the /site-meta format with the
> > Link-Template record. Basically, instead of just doing a GET /site-
> > meta, the
> > consumer must first find out where the non-HTTP /site-meta is
> > located. It
> > will usually point to /site-meta (the location) but might not.
>
> Why just an HTTP resource for /site-meta? What about XMPP clients?
> should they not be able to retrieve XRDs via xmpp:user@example.com via
> RFC3920 as a stanza?

All I am saying is that when you have an HTTP URI, you simply 'GET /site-meta HTTP/1.1' but when you have an XMPP URI you will need to first got to DNS and simply confirm that the DNS admin agrees that /site-meta can speak on behalf of its XMPP URIs.

> > This will ensure that the DNS admin has full control over discovery
> > information of non-HTTP URIs and not the HTTP admin. But it will
> > also allow
> > both HTTP and non-HTTP to use exactly the same /site-meta file and
> > mechanism
> > for most use cases.
>
> But for implementations where HTTP is not the predominant protocol,
> thus no HTTP/site-meta would normally exist, should we consider
> supporting other candidate transports for the data?  It strikes me
> that this is unnecessarily limiting.

Sure, if there are compelling use cases and entities eager to implement our draft. We have very compelling use cases with immediate applicability for the rest of this solution.

> > The reason the content of the Link-Template isn't placed directly in
> > the DNS
> > record is mostly to keep the discovery workflow as uniform as
> > possible, and
> > to use DNS in the simplest way to increase adoption.
>
> But does add an extra step in the resolution of the XRD, which should
> be considered against the gains one gets out of such uniformity.

True, but I view the DNS step as more of an authority verification step (not really trust because it is not secure) rather than part of the actual discovery. I am even considering making this more restrictive that the file location must always be /site-meta and the DNS simply allows the DNS owner to officially delegate all discovery to the HTTP admin. Basically something like a record that says "for this domain/sub domain you can use Site-meta as authoritative for all URI types" but not allow you to set a different location for /site-meta. I would also expect many non-identity/security applications to skip this step because they just don't care about the authority question.