xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Designating DNS discovery for non-HTTP URIs

Title: Re: [xri] Designating DNS discovery for non-HTTP URIs
(discussed on the call but for the sake of others will repeat here)

If we go with the approach that HTTP-based discovery can be used with any URI scheme, but allow those interested to double check the delegation of authority using DNS, to does defer the question to the individual use cases the care. So this will be a non-issue for HTTP, and an optional check (even if defined as a MUST, not really enforceable) for any other URI.

EHL

On 1/8/09 2:04 PM, "Brian Eaton" <beaton@google.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> We can argue that we should simply ignore this position and within XRD
> define that when you perform XRD discovery on a mailto URI, the XRD is
> authoritative for the XRD-based discovery metadata. But we can also add a
> simple step that solves the authority question. DNS has the most authority
> over any domain-level services. So if we allow DNS to state that HTTP has
> authority over non-HTTP URIs, we solve the authority problem.

Ah, I see.  For the use cases I'm interested in (HTTP based,
obviously), requiring DNS modifications is a major barrier to
adoption.  I don't want to create practical problems in an attempt to
resolve philosophical differences.

Both trust and authority are highly application specific: can we
simply defer questions about trusting DNS vs http://.../site-meta to
individual use cases for site-meta?