xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Designating DNS discovery for non-HTTP URIs

Forwarded for David Orchard who will be a member shortly:)

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Peter Davis <peter.davis@neustar.biz> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
>
>  There seems to be strong resistance in various communities to the idea
>> that
>> an HTTP server can speak authoritatively for non-HTTP URIs. There is also
>> strong resistance to using DNS as the entry point for resource discovery.
>> At
>> the same time, it is clear we need to support non-HTTP URIs and there is
>> strong desire to include a DNS flavor.
>>

> Can you provide any references to where this resistance is occurring?

I would also like to see references for such resistance.  I think as soon
you as you go from HTTP to HTTP + DNS, people are rightfully going to start
asking about their favourite protocol, such as XMPP, BEEP, WS-*, SIP, etc.

I think there needs to be compelling evidence to support such a
complication.  Every thing we can possibly remove from V1 only helps achieve
interoperability by reducing features, especially optional ones.

Cheers,
Dave

------=_Part_93232_29383470.1231536466121

There seems to be strong resistance in various communities to the idea that<br>
an HTTP server can speak authoritatively for non-HTTP URIs. There is also<br>
strong resistance to using DNS as the entry point for resource discovery. At<br>
the same time, it is clear we need to support non-HTTP URIs and there is<br>
strong desire to include a DNS flavor.<br>
Can you provide any references to where this resistance is occurring?<br>

------=_Part_93232_29383470.1231536466121--

smime.p7s