xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Designating DNS discovery for non-HTTP URIs

Title: Re: [xri] Designating DNS discovery for non-HTTP URIs
I am happy to adjust it to “some hesitation”... :-)

I added a new section to my draft last night explaining the reasons for this DNS workaround. I decided to promote a position I am still not fully sold on as a way to solicit feedback. I am actually hoping everyone will ask to drop it, but at least it is explicitly acknowledged as something people have expressed reservations for.

EHL

On 1/9/09 3:33 PM, "David Orchard" <orchard@pacificspirit.com> wrote:

(note, my response will not make it onto the XRI list, hopefully JohnB will forward it).

Usually () in TAG minutes indicate side comments that generally are informative and to be captured but not formal.  It's interesting that Dan did not want to make his comment formally.  And if you interpret his comment formally, I wonder if adding DNS doesn't solve his concern.

I'm not convinced that the TAG comments can be called "strong resistance".  Frankly, I'd give another couple kicks at the can before adding such a complex optional feature.  I do appreciate your sensitivity to pushback and trying to ensure a smooth passage.

Dave

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
From: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/12/10-minutes

DO: I think the TAG could talk about the issue with Authority. Eran has asked me and Jonthan to think about whether the TAG has anything to say about whether a file like this can speak >authoritatively< for, e.g. a mailto: URI.

<ht> HT acknowledges that his suggestion has a huge problem in the legacy/name squatting

<Zakim> skw2, you wanted to suggest that jar also mention the metadata-discovery googlegroup

JR: Don't think I want to.

SW: Should we point out the Google Group?

<DanC_lap> (if you want to speak authoritatively for a mailto: URI, you have to be the SMTP server. or edit the SMTP standard)

---