xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] FW: For Tuesday (More about top-down XRD stuff)

FYI

Steve asked me to skype him Tuesday morning at 7am before the regular XRI call to discuss his concerns around the changes to XRD schema and XRI resolution.

The primary use for the XRD that Eran has in his first draft is for the URI entity space.

For the people who have been following that the definition of an entity space for URI is much slipperier that perhaps they originally thought.

For XRI we do have the advantage of a much cleaner entity model.   As we look at XRI resolution and entity descriptors Steve is correct that we do need to keep in mind that XRI themselves are always abstract identifiers and will have some differences when it comes to describing relationships with other entities.

We are just starting the work on the new XRD format and I don't myself have any real concerns that we cant use the same XRD format for both descriptors.

One of the reasons I have been so interested in 303 and 404 http  responses is because those along with URI fragments are the closest thing HTTP has to the XRI descriptor.

The semantics of a XRD with a abstract URI as a subject/CID should be similar to those when a XRI is the subject.

The semantics of an XRD when it's subject is a URI that represents an information resource as is the case with oAuth and other use cases gets more complicated once you go down the rat hole of trying to have multiple XRD's to represent different possible response codes.   As these issues get resolved on the URI side I expect the resulting entity models to become more similar in many respects.

At this point however I don't think the HTTP entity model is 100% nailed down.

=jbradley