xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2009-02-26

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 26 February 2009 USA
Time:  2:00PM - 3:00PM Pacific Time (22:00-23:00 UTC)

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
John Bradley
Drummond Reed
Wil Norris
Peter Davis
Nick Nicholas
Eran Hammer-Lahav

1) XRD 1.0 - HOST META

Eran said he is still awaiting feedback. He and Mark Nottingham have also
published a new draft of the Link Header spec.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-site-meta-01.txt

# ERAN to send to the list a link to the new Link Header specification draft
as well.

# ALL - review and post feedback to the list.

2) XRD 1.0 - HTTP DISCOVERY (LRDD)

This too is still awaiting feedback. Eran noted that this spec is very
light, with the key idea being that this doesn't have to be repeated in XRD
1.0.

	http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hammer-discovery-02.txt

# ALL - review and post feedback to the list.

3) XRD 1.0 - DNS DISCOVERY

Peter reported that what is current posted is currently stable. We discussed
what form it might take if we publish it. For consistency sake, it should
probably be IETF.

Eran asked if Peter had looked at the DNS SD (Service Discovery) protocol
from Apple. Eran noted that Apple's Bonjour service is using it.

# PETER to look at DNS SD to see how it compares.

4) XRD 1.0 - SCHEMA

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XrdOne/XrdSchema

The first topic was Service Provider XRDs - see the message from Peter:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200902/msg00081.html

# ERAN to post an example of what an XRD for a service provider (such as an
OpenID provider) would look like.

The second topic was the second open issue listed at:

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XrdOne/XrdSchema#head-629e0d1ff37011673f67765
57df3de8f563061d9

The concensus was that <Link> element would not have <ResourceType>, only
<Rel>. At the XRD level, <SubjectType> will become just <Type>.

# DRUMMOND to update the wiki.

The third topic was the third open issue listed at the link above, i.e., the
question of having a <Subject> at the <Link> level. There was consensus that
this will be needed for trust purposes. However Eran would prefer that it
have a different element name at the link level.

We agreed we need a few use cases and examples before settling on semantics
for this element.

John then brought up the question about using XRIs as <Subject> values. The
core issue is whether such XRIs should be bound into absolute URIs as
described at http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriAsRelativeUri, or whether
they should be left as relative URIs. The three choices are:

a) Absolute URIs, any binding for XRIs

b) Absolute URIs, one canonical binding for XRIs (http://xri.net/)

c) Absolute or relative URIs, all XRIs appear as relative URIs but absolute
XRIs.

The trust model may have a bearing on which of these is the best option.
This also raised the question of how XRI proxy servers can pass on signature
verification. It appeared the XRI-to-URI binding would have to be to the
base URI for the authority for the final XRD.

# JOHN to cook on this issue and propose a solution to the list.

5) XRD 1.0 - TRUST TEAM

No report - neither Brian or Nat could attend the call.

6) XRI 3.0 - SYNTAX AND BINDINGS UPDATE

Drummond reported no progress due to day job load. It will be at least two
more weeks.

7) XRI 3.0 - MAILTO BINDING PROPOSAL

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriThree/EmailBinding

We ran out of time to review this - we will put it on next week's call.

8) NEXT CALL

Thursday 3/5 2-3PM PT (22:00-23:00 UTC).