xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] XRD delegated identifer element (was part of: questions about LRDD / OpenID)

Thanks, very clear. My (again just intuitive, not-so-close-to-all-this) answer would be:

- Don't differentiate between 1) and 2) and use XRD:Link:URI for both. (I assume this doesn't really work because of some use case I'm not aware of right now)
- For 3) use XRD:Link:Subject
- For 4) use XRD:Link:Alias

Markus

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:20 AM, Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@cordance.net> wrote:

> Markus wrote:

> My intuitive answer would be that the delegate goes into XRD:Link:Alias, but I'm probably not really

> so close to this.

Yes, I had been thinking about the possibility of using “XRD:Link:Alias” as the new name for “XRD:Link:LocalID” too.

But here’s the conceptual problem with that. As currently proposed in http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XrdOne/XrdSchema, XRD defines two elements at the XRD level to express identifiers identifying the resource described by the XRD:

1) XRD:Subject – the canonical URI for the resource.

2) XRD:Alias – any other synonymous URI for the resource.

The problem with using either of the element name “Subject” or “Alias” at the XRD:Link level is that it can lead to semantic confusion about whether the element is identifying the canonical ID or synonym ID of:

a) The resource that is the target of the link, or

b) The resource described by the XRD _as identified in the context of_ the resource that is the target of the link.

The second point is subtle but very important. As an example, say you have an XRD describing resource A with an XRD:Link to resource B. Inside this XRD:Link element, there are a total of four logical options for identifier elements:

1) The canonical URI for resource B (the target of the link).

2) Any other synonymous URI for resource B.

3) The canonical identifier (which may not be a URI) for resource A _in the context of resource B_, i.e., the canonical identifier by which resource B identifies resource A.

4) Any other synonymous identifier (which may not be a URI) for resource A _in the context of resource B_, i.e., any other identifier by which resource B identifies resource A.

Note that (1) is already recognized as a key use case for XRD 1.0, and that (3) is the well-know delegated identifier use case for OpenID. (2) and (4) are less compelling use cases, and thus may not warrant a standard XRD element (but don’t be surprised if they crop up).

So even if we limit our scope to (1) and (3), that means that we need _two_ child elements of <XRD:Link> that express:

* the canonical URI for resource B (the target of the link), AND

* The canonical identifier by which resource B identifies resource A.

That’s the semantics we need to express as clearly as possible in the element names. In other words, were we to “spell them out clearly”, these two element names might be:

1) <XRD:Link:Canonical-URI-For-Link-Target-Resource>

2) <XRD:Link:Canonical-URI-For-XRD-Subject-In-Context-Of-Link-Target-Resource>

If we agree those are the correct semantics, we just need to figure out the best short names that capture those semantics. Here’s one suggestion (but my no means the only one):

1) <XRD:Link:Object>  This follows from RDF semantics. If the RDF subject of an XRD has the element name <XRD:Subject>, and each RDF predicate on that RDF subject is an <XRD:Link:Rel>, then a logical name for the RDF object of the link would be <XRD:Link:Object>

2) <XRD:Link:RelativeSubject>   This follows from the above, i.e., if we use “Subject” to mean the resource described by the XRD, then “Relative Subject” would mean the same Subject, only as identified relative to the Link Object.

Thoughts?

=Drummond