xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2009-04-02

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 02 April 2009 USA
Time:  2:00PM - 3:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

Bob Morgan
John Bradley
Markus Sabadello
Nick Nicholas
Eran Hammer-Lahav
George Fletcher
Drummond Reed
Peter Davis
Nat Sakimura

1) XRD 1.0 - LINK HEADER/HOST META/LRDD

	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header
	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-site-meta
	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-discovery

Eran reported that the IETF meeting is over and he and Mark Nottingham are
getting ready to push all three to last call. The latter two are waiting for
Link Header, which is the only one on Standards track.

There are two proposed changes to Link Header. One is to revert to the
meaning of Link in RFC 2068. That will clarify that the Link Header
describes the original requested URI, and not the resource described by the
returned representation.

Eran also said the IETF ALTO (Application Level Traffic Optimization) work
is looking at using XRD for discovery. A new packet-level discovery
extension to DHCP called DHCP Container gives it the ability to discover
where its ALTO server is. XRD will be a way to then describe the server.

George asked about use cases -- have we been collecting them/analyzing them?
Drummond explained that the wiki could be used for this.

Eran also said that the W3C TAG had just come out with feedback on several
of the discovery specs.

# ERAN will forward the W3C TAG feedback.

2) XRD 1.0 - SCHEMA

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XrdOne/XrdSchema

We briefly discussed the two proposed link child elements
<XRD:Link:TargetSubject> and <XRD:Link:SourceAlias>. There is agreement now
on the requirements for these elements, so the only issue is the actual
element names.

# ERAN will send proposals to the list that he hopes will inspire other
proposals.

Eran has one more blog post that he's going to do, called "To Rel or to
Type", that will explain both options.

We discussed how much educational materials/examples should be in the spec
vs. other materials. Eran's proposal is to keep the spec lean and mean. In
early drafts, he'd like to put other non-normative educational materials
into non-normative appendicies. But after it matures, he favors putting the
non-normative materials into a separate primer.

We talked about timing of drafts and the mechanics of producing them.
Drummond wants to nail down the rest of the details on:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/InfoForEditors

# DRUMMOND to ping Mary McRae about nailing down the namespaces and spec
URIs.

3) XRD 1.0 - TRUST TEAM

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XrdOne/XmlDsigProfile

Nat was with us on the call, and has some questions that he needs to go over
with Brian and the other trust team members. One of them is whether the
simple canonicalization proposal is a MUST or a SHOULD.

Eran said he knows that Dirk and Brian are working on a draft of that
portion of the spec and example code.

John and Drummond have discussed requirements (one of which is the proposed
<XRD:Link:TargetSubject> element) but will not get out a proposed binding
until after the RSA show April 20-24.

4) XRI 3.0 - SYNTAX AND BINDINGS UPDATE

Drummond reported that it is clear at this point he will not be able to get
out a full draft until after RSA. However he will be able to it well before
IIW in May.

5) CONFIRM WORKING DRAFT SPEC TARGET DATES

Can we set specific dates for uploads of Working Drafts?

Eran is aiming for the week of April 20th for XRD 1.0. Drummond is aiming
for the week of April 27.

We discussed the impact on the bigger picture timeline. The general picture
would be:

* May 18-21 -- Internet Identity Workshop + XRI TC F2F: post all Working
Drafts and complete discussion of all major open issues.

* Early June: Committee Draft votes and start of Public Review (60 days)

* Early August: incorporate feedback from first Public Review.

* September: hold second Public Review (15 days).

* First two weeks of October: vote to Committee Specification and submit for
OASIS Standard vote.

* November: OASIS Standard vote.

6) CONFIRM F2F FOLLOWING INTERNET IDENTITY WORKSHOP

We confirmed that we will hold a one-day F2F on May 21, the Thursday after
IIW, May 21:

	http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/

# DRUMMOND to arrange a meeting room (board room at the Avante Hotel).
# JOHN to check into IDtrust Member Section budget for this.

7) MEETING AT RSA

It was clear enough of us will be there for RSA that we should try to have a
meeting, especially of the trust team.

# JOHN to talk to Dee about a room/budget for the XRI TC to meet at RSA.

8) NEXT CALL

Normal time next Thursday (2-3PM PT).