xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] XML DSig

Interestingly, a similar discussion came up during one of the OAuth
sessions last week.  It was noted that the prevailing wisdom used to
be that requiring SSL/TLS for all transactions was too expensive of an
operation.  But as far as anyone could recall, any tests to support
that idea were several years old.  Everyone is still operating under
the status quo of several years ago, but no one really knows if it's
still an issue.

I'd love to ask the same question of XML DSig.  Everyone says that
it's a really expensive operation, but how many people have actually
tested it?  And how many people have actually tested it on modern
hardware?  Regarding language support, I don't know that a good
analysis of the landscape has been done within in the last couple, at
least that I could find published.  And as we all know, just because
there are libraries out there doesn't necessarily mean that they are
any good.  I'd love to volunteer to do a survey of XML DSig support in
various languages, but I can't commit to the time just yet.

-will