xri message

Subject: FW: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

I don't like it at all (too complex) but just FYI.

EHL

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Archer [mailto:phil@philarcher.org]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:30 AM
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav
Cc: ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; apps-discuss@ietf.org; www-tag@w3.org; URI

Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
> Let me try explaining my use case again, this time without any overloaded terminology or proposed solutions.
>
> ---
>
> XRD is a document format for describing resources. It looks like this:
>
> <XRD>
> 	<Subject>http://example.com</Subject>
> 	<Type>http://example.org/type/blog</Type>
> 	<Link>
> 		<Rel>author</Rel>
> 		<URI>http://example.com/author</URI>
> 	</URI>
> </XRD>
>
> Without getting too much into XRD, this short descriptor describes the resource identified by 'http://example.com'. It includes one type indicator (a made up example meant to mean this resource is a blog), and one link to the author's page.
>
> ---
>
> I want to use this document format to describe rules that apply to all resources which belong to an HTTP host (as defined by 2616: a domain/address and port combination). The problem is, <Subject> requires a URI and currently there is no way to identify this set of resources (http://domain:port/*) as a valid URI.

As I see it, the problem is that you require type to be a URI. Why? Why
not encode your rules instead? POWDER does this in a way that could, if
you so chose, be applied pretty well directly in XRD so that it would
look like:

<XRD>
	<Subject>
		<includeschemes>http</includeschemes>
		<includehosts>example.com</includehosts>
	</Subject>
	<Type>http://example.org/type/blog</Type>
	<Link>
		<Rel>author</Rel>
		<URI>http://example.com/author</URI>
	</URI>
</XRD>

The approach POWDER takes is to define constraints on URIs. In this
case, we've constrained the host and the scheme. Any resource on any
subdomain of example.com, on any port, is now in scope. You reduce the
scope by adding in further constraints.  You can also provide
alternatives in white space separated lists so that, for example, if you
wanted to allow http or https (but not other schemes) then you'd have:

<includeschemes>http https</includeschemes>

and so on.

Your example shows just how similar XRD and POWDER are. They have
different use cases and serve different audiences and I'm not, for a
moment, suggesting that one subsumes the other, but for the record, your
example could be written in POWDER as:

<powder>
   <attribution>
     <issuedby src="http://example.com/author"; />
   </attribution>
   <dr>
     <iriset>
       <includeschemes>http</includeschemes>
       <includehosts>example.com</includehosts>
     </iriset>
     <descriptorset>
       <typeof src="http://example.org/type/blog"; />
       <dcterms:creator src="http://example.com/author"; />
     </descriptorset>
   <dr>
</powder>

This is a declaration by the author that s/he is the author of the blog
which comprises the entirety of example.com. As you can see, it's done
entirely in XML and can be processed as such. Semantic folk can also
process this and extract RDF triples about individual URIs on the
example.com host and if you run the transformation you can get an OWL
ontology out of this too - but that's all optional.

> What I don't want to do is use an exception such as 'if the URI begins with X, treat it as a rule and not a valid URI'...

Agreed, that would be awful.

Cheers

Phil.

>>> urn:abstract:host:example.com:8080
>>> urn:abstract:origin:example.com:8080:http
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> abstract://example.com/domain
>>> abstract://example.com:8080/host

--

Phil Archer
http://philarcher.org/

i-sieve technologies                |      W3C Mobile Web Initiative
Beyond Impressions                  |      www.w3.org/Mobile