xri message

Subject: RE: Subject of a host-meta XRD (was: <SubjectTemplate>)

I am looking for feedback from the TC about the questions below as well as gauging the TC's appetite for venturing into URI sets and rules (either via a URI template of some sort or a more structured XML schema similar to POWDER).

So our options are:

1. Define a new element(s) in XRD to allow a resource set as a subject. This solves all the semantic issues because it eliminates the concept of a host. The XRD in that case applies to any resource that matches its rules. We can offer a very limited URI sets functionality that will be useful for many simple use cases. Something like:

<XRD>
	<SubjectSet>
		<Authority>example.com:80</Authority>
		<Schemes>http https</Schemes>
		<Suffix>*</Suffix>
	</SubjectSet>
</XRD>

In which the authority is used to sign (wildcards are allowed the same way they are allowed as certificate subjects), schemes are space delimited, and suffix a regex (defaults to all omitted). This makes it easy to take any URI and match it against the rules:

http://example.com/resource/1 --> scheme: http, authority: example.com:80, suffix: /resource/1

2. Define a new URI for the host (as a non network resource) and use it as the subject of the host-meta XRD. LRDD (where this will be defined) will make it clear that anything other than links with URI templates and a describedby relation (alone or in addition to others) are left undefined. The problem is, while it was easy to do that using Link-Pattern, it is not so easy with <Link>. Also, while LRDD can register the new URI scheme, it will not go without resistance.

3. Use a different schema for host-meta that is compatible with XRD for the purpose of signatures. Something like:

<Host-Meta>
	<Host>example.com:80</Host>
	<!-- Signature stuff here same as XRD -->
	<Link-Pattern rel="describedby" pattern="http://example.com/meta?uri={%uri}"; type="application/xrd+xml" />
</Host-Meta>

My vote is for #1 and then #3. While #3 is easier, #1 offers a more consistent framework and allows future uses for host-meta since it is a fully featured XRD.

EHL