xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Question regarding XRI 3.0 resolution where a redirect isdesired

I think you are confusing some XDI ideas that don't exist in XRI.

XRI resolution returns a XRD or a subset of the XRD if you are doing
service selection.

=Bill.Barnhill@communitivity  is a community root authority
administered by =Bill.Barnhill and is only an unverified inference
that it somehow relates to @communitivity.

That is what some people object to about XRI 3.0 syntax.

if there is a @communitivity authority it needs to create an authority
service that can serve the XRD for its child nodes like =Bill.Barnhill
Again that node has no direct relation to the root =Bill.Barnhill.
Anyone can create a entry in there a community directory for
=Bill.Barnhill

You can ref or redirect in the authority segment but not in the path.
The Path is part of service selection.

So yes you could have a ref from =Bill.Barnhill to
=Bill.Barnhill@communitivity to @communitivity=Bill.Barnhill and
perform the service selection for +blog on the final XRD.

Refs change the subject and redirects don't in XRI 2.0 so they are not
the same.

Remember in XRI you are resolving the XRD or a service in the XRI not
a data value as you might in XDI.

John B.