xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] XRD questions for the TC

+1 to all of Breno’s answers.

=Drummond

From: Breno de Medeiros [mailto:breno@google.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:25 PM
To: Will Norris
Cc: XRI TC

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Will Norris <will@willnorris.com> wrote:

I'm pushing toward a committee draft, and have come across a couple of questions for the TC:

# Placement of Signature element

It's been suggested that having the Signature as the very first element makes the document it bit more difficult for a human to parse.  I would tend to agree.  The placement of Signature has no technical impact, so what would others think of moving it a bit lower in the document?  Either at the very end of the singular elements, or at the very bottom of the document.

For aesthetic reasons alone, I would vote to put it at the end of the document, following analogy to real-world signatures

# Example XRD for inclusion in the spec

I'd like to include a full XRD document in the spec as an example.  I don't really want to use any kind of identity or authentication examples, as I think that feeds into the pigeon hole some people already have for XRD.  Does anyone have other ideas?  I was thinking about a book maybe.  Related resources could be some kind of resolution service to retrieve MARC data for the book, an ecommerce site for purchasing the book, etc. ??  I don't know, I'm certainly open to suggestions from others.

One full example is good, several examples are even better. At least one should illustrate the concepts behind the trust mechanism, so that the issues that appear with the application to authentication can be addressed (if at a generic level).

# URITemplate example

Do we need a good example for URITemplate as well?  While the language describing the element is technically accurate, it doesn't help implementors know what the next step would be in actually making use of the element.  Or is this going to be something that doesn't go into the spec, but is blogged about and such?  I don't really see how we can give a good example without actually defining a template dictionary in the spec itself, which was something we specifically were not doing.  Thoughts on what to do here?

Examples are non-normative, so you can give an example with language implying that the dictionary you used is arbitrary.

-will