xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] OpenID Use Case

Hi Breno,

Breno de Medeiros wrote:
Hi Nat,

You have a step with a Discovery Service DS. I understand that is an optional component if the RP cannot for some reason implement the discovery logic themselves, right?
No. DS is the core of the entire service. It is the service that provides the permanent unique identifier that is to be verified at the Authentication Service (AS).

I would suggest that no RP signature is needed to use a DS as you describe. Instead of using a PPID you should use a One-Time identifier, when then the RP signature is not needed.
Right. PK based RP signature is needed only when you want to generate PPID. It is a privacy feature.
If you use One-Time identifier, signature is not needed. If you use the veronymous ID, you would not either.
You would need current OpenID like signature though for message integrity.