xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2009-07-16

Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote on 2009-07-28:
> If you want to keep that as an option, I would substitute it with a single
> element like <SubjectBeginsWith> and drop the attribute. There is just no
> need for all the child elements. This way it is still a fully qualified
URI
> which can be used exactly the same way as <Subject> for trust purposes.

Couldn't one argue that if it's that easy to adopt the same matching rules
for "trust purposes", that we might just as well use the framework being
proposed for arbitrary subject matching and just use that for "trust
purposes"?

> But I think this is a bit inconsistent with the overall extensible design
we
> have, and if people are going to 'creating custom rules all over the
place',
> shouldn't we give them a place to do it rather than create new elements
like
> <SubjectRegex> etc.?

If that's a goal, then I think we should probably adopt an existing
framework for expressing matching rules rather than create a new one.

-- Scott