xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Thursday 2009-07-16

I don't understand.

> > But I think this is a bit inconsistent with the overall extensible
> design
> we
> > have, and if people are going to 'creating custom rules all over the
> place',
> > shouldn't we give them a place to do it rather than create new
> elements
> like
> > <SubjectRegex> etc.?
>
> If that's a goal, then I think we should probably adopt an existing
> framework for expressing matching rules rather than create a new one.

Can you point to such existing framework that is consistent with the simplicity of XRD?

The POWDER framework is unacceptable in its richness/complexity (depending on your needs). Full regex for the entire subject is going to make it hard to extract an authority (even if you spell it out externally, it will still be a complicated matching process). I am not aware of any other options.

The goals are to:

1. Stay consistent with the overall XRD design
2. Allow the same trust profile being proposed for <Subject> to apply to the 'set' with minimal extra code
3. Stay within the constraints of the host-meta use case which is to describe all resources with the same URI scheme and authority

EHL