xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Version Control Commit by blade

It is how the HTTP-Link spec defines typed links... It might be a good idea to borrow a bit of that language here to make it easy for those familiar with the link framework.

> You added the following paragraph to the end of Section 2.5.1:
>
> > New relation types between resources must follow the extensibility
> > and registration requirements defined in [HTTP Link Header].
>
> While I don't disagree with this, I'm curious if it's necessary.  The
> whole reason link-header had to create a registry is because it is
> using tokens for registered values, and only using URIs for extended
> values.  XRD is specifically using URIs only, so we don't really care
> about the token values.  The universal rule of URIs is that you don't
> make up new URIs in namespaces you don't own.  That would imply that
> you can't make up a new relationship in the
> "http://www.iana.org/assignment/relation
> " unless you've properly registered it.  Now, I do like having some
> kind of reference because it instructs publishers how to format those
> token values as URIs, but the wording of the above paragraph seems out
> of place, given how XRD uses these values.

We are not using just URIs. Note we don't have any requirement for absolute URIs for <Rel>. A 'describedby' rel type is perfectly valid. I think it is important to point out to developers that if they want to create new relation types, they should consult the link spec for directions and guidelines on when to mint a short name and when a URI extension.

EHL