xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Version Control Commit by blade

inline

On Aug 20, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

> [...]

That may be.  I just want to make sure we're consistent.

>> You added the following paragraph to the end of Section 2.5.1:
>>
>>> New relation types between resources must follow the extensibility
>>> and registration requirements defined in [HTTP Link Header].
>>
>> While I don't disagree with this, I'm curious if it's necessary.  The
>> whole reason link-header had to create a registry is because it is
>> using tokens for registered values, and only using URIs for extended
>> values.  XRD is specifically using URIs only, so we don't really care
>> about the token values.  The universal rule of URIs is that you don't
>> make up new URIs in namespaces you don't own.  That would imply that
>> you can't make up a new relationship in the
>> "http://www.iana.org/assignment/relation
>> " unless you've properly registered it.  Now, I do like having some
>> kind of reference because it instructs publishers how to format those
>> token values as URIs, but the wording of the above paragraph seems
>> out
>> of place, given how XRD uses these values.
>
> We are not using just URIs. Note we don't have any requirement for
> absolute URIs for <Rel>. A 'describedby' rel type is perfectly valid.

Now that's really interesting... I hadn't considered "describedby" to
be a valid value for <Rel>.  I'm actually not too fond of that, and am
now wondering if we *should* in fact mandate an absolute URI here.

> I think it is important to point out to developers that if they want
> to create new relation types, they should consult the link spec for
> directions and guidelines on when to mint a short name and when a
> URI extension.

Fair enough.  Perhaps move this paragraph to the extensibility section
of the spec then?