xri message

Subject: 1) XRD Subject matching & 2) host meta URI

I just had a long talk with John Bradley about both of these subjects (and
their relationship).

We came out with 2 key points:

1) Do we really need #begins-with subject matching? Does anyone actually
have a use case for it? (Your own use case, not someone else's.)

John pointed out that if even a single resource within the subject set scope
needs its own XRD, then all resources within the subject set scope will need
their own XRDs, because we don't have a way of expressing, "all resources in
the example.com domain EXCEPT example.com/exception".

So who has a use case that requires subject sets? If not, let's drop it, and
do away with the match attribute.

2) Does the subject of a host-meta XRD just need a way to indicate that the
subject is not a concrete URI, but the abstract concept of the host for that
URI?

If so, let's just specify that for a host meta URI, you add a blank hash
tag. Example:

	http://example.com	<== Concrete subject
	http://example.com#	<== Abstract host meta subject

It's a simple solution that happens to be consistent with the SemWeb but
doesn't require any SemWeb baggage.

=Drummond